Discussion Forum Types
Discussion forum types dictate how students can participate in your course forums. By default, any existing forums in your course are set to: 'A single simple discussion.' With this setting, students must post their responses and replies within one discussion topic. They will not be able to create new discussion topics of their own.
When creating a new discussion forum, there are a total of five forum types to select from:
- Standard forums displayed in a blog-like format – General forums in which students can post multiple topics, which are then displayed in a blog-like format.
- Standard forum for general use – General forums in which students can post multiple topics and replies.
- A single simple discussion – Forum in which students reply to a single discussion topic.
- Each person posts one discussion – Forum in which each student creates one new discussion topic, though they may respond to other students’ topics and comments.
- Q and A forum – Forum in which a teacher posts a question as the discussion topic, and students reply with their answers. In this forum, students can only see their classmates’ responses after they have responded to the post themselves.