If your course has the 'Groups' feature enabled, you may use the below steps to populate your groups. Please note, you will need to first have our Technical Support team define your desired groups. Once these groups have been defined, you will need to manually add each student into their appropriate group. To determine whether the 'Groups' feature is an option for you this semester, please feel free to shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. At this time, creating and populating groups is a manual process. We are working to offer a more automated process for future terms.
To populate your groups:
- From your 'Instructor Tools' menu, select 'View Roster.' On this page, you will see a 'Groups' column (to the right).
- To begin populating your groups, click the pencil icon in the 'Groups' column to the right of your first student.
- In the text box, type the name of the group this student belongs in. (As you start to type, the available groups will display. You can click to select the desired group.)
- Once you have selected the desired group, click the save icon (to the immediate right of the text box).
- Repeat this step for remaining students until all students have been placed into a group. We do not recommend leaving any students on your roster unassigned to a group.
NOTE: If you are teaching a course that uses discussion forums, please reach out to our Technical Support team for further assistance. Using the 'Groups' feature within a course that has forums will require additional steps. If your course has discussion forums and you would like to implement the 'Groups' feature, we recommend doing so before students have started any of their course work to prevent any confusion or loss of work.