Gradebook Setup - Setting a Grade Curve
If you would like to offer a grade curve for a specific grade item, such as a quiz or exam, you may do so by entering an offset in the gradebook. An offset will add the same number of points to every student's score for that quiz/exam.
To set a grade curve:
- Access your gradebook from the menu bar at the top of your course home page.
- From the dropdown menu, select 'Gradebook Setup.'
- Locate the quiz/exam that you would like to set a curve for (i.e., Midterm Exam). To the right of this grade item, select 'Edit'>'Edit Settings.'
- In the 'Grade Item' pane, select 'Show More...'
- In the 'Offset' field, enter the number of points you would like to offset the grade by. For example, if you enter an offset of 5, this will add 5 points to every student's score for this grade item.
- Once your changes are complete, click 'Save Changes.'
Please note: once an offset has been saved for a specific quiz/exam, students' grades for this item will automatically reflect the offset points in the 'User Report' and 'Single View' of the instructor gradebook. If you would like to review students' original scores excluding offset values, you may do so by accessing the quiz/exam from your course homepage and clicking the blue 'Attempts' link.